Kigelia Africana Powder -100 g - Herbal Collection
We have run out of stock for this item.
might help with
- venereal diseases
- as a topical application on wounds and abscesses.
Translation in English by Google Translate (go to the page of the source linked | on Chrome cellphones go on the 3 dots on the top right and select translate in your preferred language | on laptop right click your mouse and select option translate when hoovering on the page
International Latin denomination
Description and habitat
- Tree 10 - 12 m, native to South Africa (north), Tanzania, Mozambique, present in other African countries in coastal wetlands, evergreen or deciduous foliage depending on the climate, large pinnate leaves at 8 - 10 oval leaflets, nauseating nocturnal flowering, in long terminal panicles (1 m 80), large campanulate flowers with 5 petals, large hanging brown fruit with smooth corky skin, fibrous pulp, inedible, contains many seeds
- Pollination is carried out by bats
History and tradition
- In African beliefs, it is a sacred tree because it would bring wealth
- Among the Lebous of Cape Verde, the matrons frequently use the pulp of its ripe fruits in decoction and in friction on the breasts of young girls in order to endow them with an advantageous chest. They ensure that the measurements performed before and after this therapy prove its validity.
- In traditional Wolof medicine other parts of the tree are used: the bark is used in epileptic states and the roots are used in the treatment of sterility
- Bark, fresh fruit pulp
Dosage forms available
Main components of the plant
Main components of buds or young shoots
Main components of essential oil
- The bark is used in the African pharmacopoeia among other things to treat snake bites, treat stomach aches, toothaches.
- The pulp is traditionally used by women as a beauty product but also to treat abscesses, wounds and wounds, it is now used in the manufacture of certain cosmetics. In cosmetology, it is the active ingredients contained in the fruit that have proven their effectiveness in improving the firmness and elasticity of the skin.
- Since always in the African pharmacopoeia the fresh pulp is prescribed as a poultice to treat rheumatism and cooked it was used to promote the development of the breasts, studies have shown that this pulp contains lipids (sterols) which are close to hormones
- Antibacterial 
- Anti-inflammatory ( verminoside ) 
- The fruit could be used in polycystic ovary syndrome 
Properties of essential oil
Indications of the whole plant (phytotherapy)
- In cosmetology
Indications of the bud (gemmotherapy)
Specific indications of essential oil (aromatherapy)
Known or suspected mode of action
Possible side effects and precautions for use
- ↑ Aller à :1.0 and 1.1 Picerno P, Autore G, Marzocco S, Meloni M, Sanogo R, Aquino RP. Anti-inflammatory activity of verminoside from Kigelia africana and evaluation of cutaneous irritation in cell cultures and reconstituted human epidermis. J Nat Prod. 2005 Nov;68(11):1610-4. PMID 16309308
- Aller↑ OM Grace, ME Light, KL Lindsey, DA Moholland, JV Staden and AK Jager. Antibacterial Activity and Isolation of Active Compounds from Fruit of the Traditional African Medicinal Tree Kigelia africana. South African Journal of Botany, Vol. 66, No. 2, 2002, p. 220-222. 
- Aller↑ Oyeku A. Oyelami, Kafayat O. Yusuf, Atinuke O. Oyelami. The Use of Kigelia africana in the Management of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). Chinese Medicine, 2012, 3, 1-3 doi:10.4236/cm.2012.31001 Published Online March 2012 ( http://www.SciRP.org/journal/cm ) 
- Olatunji AG, Atolani O. Comprehensive Scientific Demystification of Kigelia africana: A Review. African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry, Vol. 3, No. 9, 2009, p. 158-164. 
Store in a cool, dry place, away from light. Keep tightly closed, away from the reach of Children and pets.
Do not exceed the daily dose.
This product is not intended to prevent or cure any form of illness or disease.
If you are pregnant or nursing ; If you have a medical condition or are in the course of medical treatment ; If you are programmed for theater/operation in the near future, please consult your healthcare practitioner before using this product.
This product cannot replace a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.
This product has not been evaluated by the SAHPRA for its quality, safety or intended use.