Ashwagandha Root Powder - 100 g - Herbal Collection
Ashwagandha Root Powder - 100 g - Herbal Collection
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), also known as Indian ginseng or winter cherry, is a popular adaptogenic herb used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine.
It has been used for thousands of years to promote overall health and wellness.
Here are some of its benefits, properties, and traditional uses:
- Adaptogenic properties: Ashwagandha is known as an adaptogen, meaning it helps the body adapt to stress, both physical and emotional. It has been traditionally used to alleviate stress, anxiety, and fatigue.
- Immune system support: Ashwagandha is believed to strengthen the immune system and help the body fight off infections and diseases.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Ashwagandha contains compounds with anti-inflammatory effects, which can help reduce inflammation and pain in conditions like arthritis.
- Antioxidant effects: The herb contains several antioxidants that can help protect cells from oxidative stress and damage caused by free radicals.
- Cognitive function: Ashwagandha has been traditionally used to enhance memory, focus, and cognitive function. Some studies suggest it may be effective in improving cognitive performance and preventing age-related cognitive decline.
- Sexual health: Ashwagandha has been used as an aphrodisiac to increase sexual desire and improve sexual function in both men and women.
- Sleep improvement: Ashwagandha is known to have a calming effect, which can help improve sleep quality and treat insomnia.
- Thyroid function: Some research suggests that ashwagandha may help regulate thyroid hormone levels, particularly in cases of hypothyroidism.
- Blood sugar regulation: Ashwagandha may help lower blood sugar levels in people with diabetes or those at risk for developing the condition.
Ashwagandha root (Withania somnifera) is sometimes called “Indian ginseng” as it has many similar health properties.
it is adaptogen
It is traditionally used to relieve stress and strengthen the immune system.
It can strengthen the body and increase endurance.
The powder is easier to use in smoothies, energy drinks and as a daily tonic.
take 250 mg to 1 g of powdered root equivalent 3 times daily as a restorative tonic for over-work, exhaustion, sleep problems.
Regular use can also help with arthritis
Take 2 to 4 ml (40 to 80 drops) in water 3 times daily as an energy tonic, a calming remedy for insomnia, to nourish the blood in anaemia, or for stresss.
Take 1/2 to 1 cup of a decoction made from 1 tsp or dried root and 120 ml of milk or water simmered for 15mn for stress or exhaustion.
Herbal leaves and Flowers
Place 1 teaspoon in 1 cup of boiling water. Allow to infuse for 8 to 10 mn. Strain
Place 1 teaspoon in a cup whilst adding adding warm water and stirring slowly
Seeds, Bark, Roots, Stems and Berries
Add 20 grams to 500 ml of water. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 20 mn. Strain and drink warm or cold
Translation in English by Google Translate (go to the page of the source linked | on Chrome cellphones go on the 3 dots on the top right and select translate in your preferred language | on laptop right click your mouse and select option translate when hoovering on the page
International Latin denomination
Description and habitat
- Hardy shrub native to India and grown on the arid rock gardens of the Mediterranean region, the Canary Islands, South Africa
- Erect, semi-woody, with flexuous branches
- Leaves oval, sub-acute and hispid on their underside
- Flowers grouped by 3 to 6 in small axillary clusters
- 5-toothed calyx, accrescent after flowering, which persists around the fruit in the form of tabs
- The fruit is a small, shiny red, pisiform berry
History and tradition
- Its name, which in Hindi means "horse smell", evokes the power of this animal, one of the most famous plants in Ayurvedic medicine.
- The Arabs became interested in it, used in traditional African medicine, especially in Morocco
- Falsely called “ Indian Ginseng ” because of its adaptogenic properties
- Mainly roots, leaves, berries
Dosage forms available
- 3 - 6 grams of dry plant powder
Main components of the plant
- Pyrazolic alkaloids : withasomnine and derivatives
- Steroidal lactones ( withanolides ) including withaferin A , withanone , glycowhithanolides , sitoindosides VII to X
- Cuscohygrine , coca alkaloid _
- a solasodine and sitoindosides VII and VIII
- Fatty oil and essential oil
Main components of buds or young shoots
Main components of essential oil
- One of the most powerful adaptogenic plants  , tonic and aphrodisiac, decreases adrenal hypertrophy due to stress, blood cortisol concentration  , increases cardio-respiratory endurance in athletes  , anti-stress [4 ] , anxiolytic 
- Antioxidant, antibacterial  , immunostimulant
- Improves memory, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging  , decreases the effects of stress on brain cells in the striatum  , increases the longevity of fibroblasts 
- Improves mental abilities and sleep quality in the elderly 
- Neuroprotective  ,  , potentialities in Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease 
- Hepatoprotector 
- Anxiolytic and antidepressant effect  , measured by Hamilton scale (HAM-A Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale), and DASS-21 (Depression, Anxiety, and Stress Scale -21), reduction of stress hormones (cortisol and DHEA)  , antistress, sedative, hypnotic  , prevents tardive dyskinesia induced by haloperidol 
- Improves depressive and anxiety symptoms in schizophrenic patients 
- Anti-inflammatory  and analgesic in gout, without inducing gastric damage 
- Withanolides trigger apoptosis and decrease osteoclast action by inhibiting NF-kappaB activation 
- Diuretic, antirheumatic
- Hypotensive ( alkaloids lower BP) and cholesterol-lowering
- The whithanolides have an analogy with human steroid hormones
- Increased hematopoiesis and hemoglobin, hair melanin
- Withaferin A is antifungal and antitumor
- Anti-inflammatory of the intestine 
- Potentialities in the treatment of COVID-19, inhibits the penetration of SARS-Cov-2 into cells by interacting with the TMPRSS2 protein and the Mpro protease  ,  , 
- Gemmotherapeutic extracts are cardioprotective by increasing antioxidant enzymes (superoxide dismutase, catalase, glutathione peroxidase) 
Properties of essential oil
Indications of the whole plant (phytotherapy)
- Adaptogen, asthenia, resistance to stress, overwork, sports medicine
- Male infertility
- Arterial hypertension, anemia (iron content)
- Promotes rest and relaxation
- Anti-inflammatory, would treat chronic inflammation (lupus, articular rheumatism)
- Osteoporosis (?)
- Immunodependent dermatoses
- Rectocolitis, Crohn's disease (?)
- Potentialities in neurodegenerative diseases, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease  ,  ,  ,  , 
Indications of the bud (gemmotherapy)
Specific indications of essential oil (aromatherapy)
Known or suspected mode of action
- Whithanolides are steroid molecules specific to Solanaceae : Withania , Physalis , Nicandra , Lycium , Datura
Possible side effects and precautions for use
- No change in the concentration of the following drugs: carbamazepine, phenytoin, phenobarbital, valproic acid, procainamide, N-acetyl procainamide, theophylline, gentamicin, tobramycin, paracetamol, salicylic acid 
- Possible interference with digoxin, ashwagandha alkaloids having a structural analogy with this molecule 
- Avoid in case of hyperthyroidism
- Aller↑ Bhattacharya SK, Muruganandam AV. Adaptogenic activity of Withania somnifera: an experimental study using a rat model of chronic stress. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2003 Jun;75(3):547-55. doi: 10.1016/s0091-3057(03)00110-2. PMID 12895672 .
- Aller↑ Chandrasekhar, K., Kapoor, J., & Anishetty, S. (2012). A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults. Indian journal of psychological medicine, 34(3), 255–262. https://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7176.106022 . PMID 23439798
- Aller↑ Shenoy, S., Chaskar, U., Sandhu, JS, & Paadhi, MM (2012). Effects of eight-week supplementation of Ashwagandha on cardiorespiratory endurance in elite Indian cyclists. Journal of Ayurveda and integrative medicine, 3(4), 209–214. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-9476.104444 . PMID 23326093
- Aller↑ R Archana, A Namasivayam. Antistress effect of Withania somnifera. J Ethnopharmacol. 1999 Jan;64(1):91-3. doi: 10.1016/s0378-8741(98)00107-x. PMID 10075127
- Aller↑ Salve J, Pate S, Debnath K, Langade D. Adaptogenic and Anxiolytic Effects of Ashwagandha Root Extract in Healthy Adults: A Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Clinical Study. Cureus. 2019 Dec 25;11(12):e6466. doi: 10.7759/cureus.6466. PMID 32021735
- Aller↑ Alam N, Hossain M, Mottalib M, Sulaiman S, Gan S, Khalil M. Methanolic extracts of Withania somnifera leaves, fruits and roots possess antioxidant properties and antibacterial activities. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2012, 12:175 (7 October 2012) Abstract Provisional PDF
- Aller↑ Bhattacharya SK, Satyan KS, Ghosal S. Antioxidant activity of glycowithanolides from Withania somnifera. Indian J Exp Biol. 1997 Mar;35(3):236-9. PMID 9332168
- Aller↑ Bhattacharya A & all. Anti-oxidant effect of Withania somnifera glycowithanolides in chronic footshock stress-induced disturbances of oxidative free radical scavenging enzymes and lipid peroxidation in rat frontal cortex and striatum. J Ethnopharmacol. 2001 Jan;74(1):1-6. PMID 11137343
- Aller↑ Widodo N, Shah N, Priyandoko D, Ishii T, Kaul SC, Wadhwa R. Deceleration of senescence in normal human fibroblasts by withanone extracted from ashwagandha leaves. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009 Oct;64(10):1031-8. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glp088. PMID 19587106 .
- Aller↑ Kelgane SB, Salve J, Sampara P, Debnath K. Efficacy and Tolerability of Ashwagandha Root Extract in the Elderly for Improvement of General Well-being and Sleep: A Prospective, Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study. Cureus. 2020 Feb 23;12(2):e7083. doi: 10.7759/cureus.7083. PMID 32226684
- Aller↑ Kurapati KR, Samikkannu T, Atluri VS, Kaftanovskaya E, Yndart A, Nair MP. β-Amyloid1-42, HIV-1Ba-L (clade B) infection and drugs of abuse induced degeneration in human neuronal cells and protective effects of ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) and its constituent Withanolide A. PLoS One. 2014 Nov 21;9(11):e112818. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0112818. eCollection 2014. PMID 25415340 full text
- Aller↑ Sankar SR, Manivasagam T, Krishnamurti A, Ramanathan M. The neuroprotective effect of Withania somnifera root extract in MPTP-intoxicated mice: an analysis of behavioral and biochemical variables. Cell Mol Biol Lett. 2007;12(4):473-81. PMID 17415533
- Aller↑ Singh, Surya. (2015). Withania somnifera shows ability to counter Parkinson's Disease: An Update. SOJ Neurology. 2. 01-04. 10.15226/2374-6858/2/2/00120. Full Text
- Aller↑ Bhattacharya A, Ramanathan M, Ghosal S, Bhattacharya SK. Effect of Withania somnifera glycowithanolides on iron-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Phytother Res. 2000 Nov;14(7):568-70. PMID 11054855
- Aller↑ Bhattacharya SK, Bhattacharya A, Sairam K, Ghosal S. Anxiolytic-antidepressant activity of Withania somnifera glycowithanolides: an experimental study. Phytomedicine. 2000 Dec;7(6):463-9. doi: 10.1016/S0944-7113(00)80030-6. PMID 11194174
- Aller↑ Lopresti AL, Smith SJ, Malvi H, Kodgule R. An investigation into the stress-relieving and pharmacological actions of an ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) extract: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2019 Sep;98(37):e17186. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000017186. PMID 31517876
- Aller↑ Langade, D., Kanchi, S., Salve, J., Debnath, K., & Ambegaokar, D. (2019). Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) Root Extract in Insomnia and Anxiety: A Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Study. Cureus, 11(9), e5797. https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.5797 . PMID 31728244
Store in a cool, dry place, away from light. Keep tightly closed, away from the reach of Children and pets.
Do not exceed the daily dose.
This product is not intended to prevent or cure any form of illness or disease.
If you are pregnant or nursing ; If you have a medical condition or are in the course of medical treatment ; If you are programmed for theater/operation in the near future, please consult your healthcare practitioner before using this product.
This product cannot replace a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.
This product has not been evaluated by the SAHPRA for its quality, safety or intended use.