Rock Rose Cistus Organic Essential Oil - 10 ml
Cistus ladaniferus leaf essential oil
In aromatherapy: uplifting, calming, and grounding: emotional chocks, emotional trauma; in wellbeing and skincare: antiviral, anti-infectious, topical astringent, and anti-haemorrhagic (haemostatic), veinous tonic: varicose veins, spider veins, bruises; acne and breakouts-prone skins: oily skins, sebum regulator, scar healing.in natural cosmetics: for mature skins, wrinkles and fine lines, skin toner. In natural perfumery.
INCI name: Cistus ladaniferus (Rock rose) leaf, twigs, and top oil.
Synonyms: Cistus essential oil
CAS number: 8016-26-0
EXTRACTION METHOD: Direct Steam Distillation
PARTS USED: Entire herbs, Leaves, Twigs and top
COMMON NAMES: True Cistus essential oil, Rose of Sharon, Common Gum Cistus, Brown-Eyed Rockrose oil.
APPEARANCE: Pale yellow to light orange
ODOUR NOTE: Highly aromatic, Balsamic, powerful, fresh, minty, herbaceous, warm, slightly sweet resinous die-down aroma. Top to middle note.
STORAGE CONDITION; Store in a cool dark place
PRINCIPAL MOLECULAR COMPONENTS: Alpha-pinene (40.89%), Camphene (4.86%), Borneol (1.26%) -2,2,6-triméthyl Cyclohexanone (2.21%), Viridiflorol (2.11%)
Please note: Rockrose or Cistus refers to the plant Cistus ladaniferus and to its essential oil.
Rockroses leaves and branches naturally exudes a highly aromatic resin called labdanum.
Several oils are extracted from the rock rose/ Cistus plant. Please see the more info tab.
NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH ROCK ROSE/CISTUS LADANIFERUS RESIN/ LABDANUM OILS.
This product is the CISTUS ESSENTIAL OIL aka the “true” Rock rose essential oil, obtained by direct steam distillation of the leaves, twigs and tops.
- It is a pale-yellow to pale-orange, transparent and fluid essential oil.
- It is highly aromatic
- and contrary to the different labdanum (resin/gum) extracts, this powerful, uplifting herbaceous essential oil is light, fresh, piney, minty-spicey at first, with a background of the sweet, amber-like labdanum scent, in its dry down.
Cistus is a shrub with pink or white ornamental flowers, whose twigs and leaves secrete an odorous and viscous resin: the labdanum.
Cistus aerial parts can be steam-distilled, to obtain the essential oil or extracted with volatile solvents for the manufacture of oleoresin (Concrete and Absolute).
Several extracts obtained from the Rock rose/ Cistus plant are produced by distillers:
Directly extracted from the leaves and twigs raw material: Cistus essential oil and Cistus absolute,
Extracted from the Labdanum/Resin of Cistus: Labdanum Concrete and Labdanum Absolute
the resin/Labdanum extracts from the Cistus plant give amber to dark-orange, viscous to gummy extracts, with a characteristic warm, deep, resinous, and tenacious aroma.
Whereas the aerial parts (leaves, twigs) direct steam-distillation of the Cistus/Rock rose plant, gives a pale-yellow to pale-orange, transparent, liquid, essential oil.
This essential oil is also highly and powerfully aromatic, but is balsamic, fresh, aerial at first
Fantastic for this use +++
Acceptable (suitable) for this use ++
Tolerable (not great for this use)+
Don't use for this purpose --
Amber brown to dark brown mobile to very thick liquid (see instructions of use below)
How to liquefy and work with: Labdanum, rock rose essential oil/Absolute: this oil is quite vicious; you will find it needs to be gently warmed in order to liquefy and be easier to work with. . Place bottle in shot glass and add enough warm water (not hot/boiling) to almost reach the bottom rim of the cap. As water cools, refill with warm water until it reaches a more workable liquid state. Usually 10-15 minutes and a couple water changes is all it takes. Once liquefied be prepared to work fast because this absolute will become gummy and start to re-solidify quickly.
For perfumery, meditation, and scenting home fragrance items such as candles Labdanum Absolute provides a remarkably rich, tenacious, sweet, warm, balsamic amber-like aroma. The deep aromatic quality of the absolute is a prime choice among perfumers.
Massages & body care
- Body massage use 1 to 6 drops essential oil for 10 ml carrier oil (0.5 to 2 % concentration) +++
- Face care use 1 to 3 drops essential oil for 10 ml carrier or base (0.5 to 1 % concentration) +++
- Body care use 2 to 6 drops essential oil for 10 ml carrier or base (1 to 2 % concentration) +++
For more detailed information, please go check this LINK TO Instructions of use essential oils page
DO NOT USE UNDILUTED and seek medical and specialist advise when in doubt
SEE OUR PAGE ON PRECAUTION - HOW TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS SAFELY
Rock Rose Essential Oil offers a range of potential benefits and properties, making it a versatile addition to any wellness or skincare regimen.
Haemostatic and Astringent: Rock Rose Essential Oil has been reported to possess haemostatic properties, which may help stop bleeding in minor cuts and wounds. Its astringent effects can potentially help tighten and tone the skin, making it beneficial for various skincare applications.
Scar Healing and Skin Regeneration: This essential oil is believed to promote scar healing and skin regeneration, making it a valuable addition to skincare routines targeting damaged or aging skin. Its restorative properties may aid in reducing the appearance of scars and improving overall skin texture.
Antiviral, Antifungal, and Immunity Defences Regulator: Rock Rose Essential Oil has been reported to have antiviral and antifungal properties, potentially helping to protect against a variety of infections. Additionally, its immunomodulatory effects may help regulate the body's natural immunity defenses, contributing to overall health and well-being.
Calming: In aromatherapy, Rock Rose Essential Oil is often used for its calming effects. Its soothing scent can help alleviate stress and anxiety, promoting relaxation and mental well-being.
It's essential to use caution when applying essential oils to the skin, as they can cause irritation or allergic reactions in some individuals.
Always dilute essential oils with a carrier oil before use, and consult a healthcare professional before incorporating them into your routine for medicinal purposes.
- In skin repair ointments to promote good tissue scaring, for cracked heels, shaped hands, splits, fissures, bed sores…
- In haemostatic formulas or compresses, to stop nose bleeds, minor cuts, grazes, in after shave formulas
- In massage oils in support of viral, infectious eruptions, conditions (chickenpox, measles…)
- In massage oils for joints discomforts and inflammations (rheumatoid arthritis…)
- In oils for periodic pains, heavy menstruations… massaged to the stomach, lower back, midriff area
- In oils, creams, or lotions for stretch marks, cellulite, …
- In uplifting yet calming synergies for relaxation, nervous tensions, chocks, and emotional traumatic events.
- In mature skin and wrinkle creams, facial tonic and tightening cream and lotions
- To help with rosacea, varicose veins
- In cleansing acne-prone skin care creams or lotions,
- In oral and gum hygiene, mouthwash, and gargle.
- As a top to middle note in natural perfumery for fresh eau-de-colognes
Best used on skin applications for wellbeing massages, skincare, body care & beauty
- Targeted Body concerns, cracks, splits, varicose veins, small wounds, blisters… +++: dilute 1 drop Rockrose essential oil into 4 drops of a carrier oil (Macadamia, Shea, Sweet Almond…) apply and massage on concerned areas or use on a compress.
- Body care, wider areas massages, stretches, nervous balance, chocks, anxiety, better sleep…+++: Dilute 1 drop od Rockrose essential oil into 9 drops of a carrier oil of your choice (Tamanu and Macadamia, Argan, Shea…)
- Face care, scars, regenerating skin care, wrinkles, Rosacea, Acne, excessive perspiration… +++:1 drop essential oil into 4 drops carrier oil (Rosehip oil...): apply and massage in.
- Oral care, in mouth wash, for fresher breath, gum or mouth sores…: +++: for 100 ml, 1 drop of essential oil in 2 Tablespoons of Vegetable glycerine (Glycerol), mix until E. Oils are completely dissolved. Then top up with water and shake to mix well. Use as a mouth rinse or to gargle. Do not swallow.
- For nose bleeds: use 2 drops of pure Rock rose essential oil on a piece of clean cotton or tissue (avoid fuzzy materials), insert carefully into the concerned nostril(s), leaving some extra length outside. Wait a few minutes until the bleeding stops and remove delicately.
This special essential oil works well in any blend to impart a very complex, fresh yet grounding aroma. It is used as a fixative to top and middle notes
- For PMS and Cramps: with Clary sage and lavender
- For Agitated states to calm, in harmonizing, uplifting blends with Lavandin, Mandarin, Spruce.
- For skin purifying blends, Niaouli or tea tree,
- For scars, varicose veins with Helichrysum,
- For skin regeneration with Rose geranium, Rosemary Rose Geranium
- For joints with Eucalyptus citriodora, Basil…
- For meditative uses, ambiances with Spikenard, Frankincense, Myrrh, Benzoin
Avoid during pregnancy
Do not use during the first 3 months of pregnancy / breastfeeding
Keep out of reach of children and pets.
As a general rule, always perform a skin patch test before using your essential oils for the first time.
DO NOT USE UNDILUTED and seek medical and specialist advise when in doubt. Ask your doctor for advice if you are taking anticoagulant treatments.