Patchouli Leaves Dried (Pogostemon cablin) - 75 g - Herbal Collection
Patchouly Leaves Dried (Pogostemon cablin) - 75 g - Herbal Collection
May help with
- insect bites
- insects repellent
- vein tonic
- gastro protective
Translation in English by Google Translate (go to the page of the source linked | on Chrome cellphones go on the 3 dots on the top right and select translate in your preferred language | on laptop right click your mouse and select option translate when hoovering on the page
International Latin denomination
Description and habitat
- Perennial tropical plant, native to Southeast Asia
- The fresh plant is odorless, the different odorous molecules ( patchoulol , sesquiterpenes ) appear after a fermentation phase
History and tradition
- Patchouli arrived in Europe in the 18th century
- Its insecticidal properties were well known to merchants, who slipped patchouli leaves into their shipments of silks and precious fabrics.
- Leaves, essential oil
Dosage forms available
- leaf essential oil
Main components of the plant
- Flavonoids : 7,4'-di-O-methyleriodictyol , 7,3 ',4'-tri-O-methyleriodictyol , 3,7,4'-tri-O-methylkaempferol , ombuine , pachypodol , kumatakenin
- Essential oil
Main components of buds or young shoots
Main components of essential oil
- Sesquiterpene alcohol : patchouly alcohol 30-45% ( patchoulol ), nor-patchoulenol
- sesquiterpenes : alpha-guaiene , alpha-bulnesene , alpha-patchoulene , beta-patchoulene and gamma-patchoulene
- Sedative and tranquilizer, sympatholytic by inhalation 
- The underground parts are anti-inflammatory 
- Flavonoids are antimutagenic ( 7,4'-di-O-methyleriodictyol , 7,3 ',4'-tri-O-methyleriodictyol ), 3,7,4'-tri-O-methylkaempferol , ombuine , pachypodol , kumatakenin [ 3]
- Anti-emetic 
- Cytotoxicity, anticancer ( lichochalcone A ) 
Properties of essential oil
- Antifungal 
- Calming skin on insect bites
- Repellent, insect repellent (mosquito repellent) with essential oils of citronella , patchouli , clove and Zanthoxylum limonella < /ref> Trongtokit Y, Rongsriyam Y, Komalamisra N, Apiwathnasorn C. Comparative repellency of 38 essential oils against mosquito bites. Phytother Res. 2005 Apr;19(4):303-9. PMID 16041723 </ref>
- Vein tonic
- Platelet aggregation inhibitor ( alpha-bulnesene )  , 
- Gastroprotective, the combination of patchouli EO and mandarin zest (ratio of 1:2) can repair gastric mucosal lesions in a mouse model 
- Patchouli alcohol is an inducer of apoptosis of human colorectal cancer cells  and anti-atherosclerotic 
- Patchouli alcohol is immunomodulating 
Indications of the whole plant (phytotherapy)
- Cancers (?)
Indications of the bud (gemmotherapy)
Specific indications of essential oil (aromatherapy)
- Used locally in the lymphatic drainage of the lower limbs
- insect repellent
Known or suspected mode of action
Possible side effects and precautions for use
- Prohibited in pregnant women
- Go↑ Haze S, Sakai K, Gozu Y. Effects of fragrance inhalation on sympathetic activity in normal adults. Jpn J Pharmacol. 2002 Nov;90(3):247-53. PMID 12499579
- Go↑ Li CW, Wu XL, Zhao XN, Su ZQ, Chen HM, Wang XF, Zhang XJ, Zeng HF, Chen JN, Li YC, Su ZR. Anti-inflammatory property of the ethanol extract of the root and rhizome of Pogostemon cablin (Blanco) Benth. ScientificWorldJournal. 2013 Dec 9;2013:434151. doi: 10.1155/2013/434151. eCollection 2013. PMID 24385881
- Go↑ Miyazawa M, Okuno Y, Nakamura S, Kosaka H. Antimutagenic activity of flavonoids from Pogostemon cablin. J Agric Food Chem. 2000 Mar;48(3):642-7. PMID 10725128
- Go↑ Yang Y, Kinoshita K, Koyama K, Takahashi K, Tai T, Nunoura Y, Watanabe K. Anti-emetic principles of Pogostemon cablin (Blanco) Benth. Phytomedicine. 1999 May;6(2):89-93. PMID 10374246
- Go↑ Eun Jung Park, Hae Ran Park, Ji Suk Lee, Jinwoong Kim. Licochalcone A: An Inducer of Cell Differentiation and Cytotoxic Agent from Pogostemon cabling. Planta Med 1998; 64(5): 464-466. PMID 9690352 
- Go↑ Yang D, Michel D, Mandin D, Andriamboavonjy H, Poitry P, Chaumont JP, Millet-Clerc J. Antifungal and antibacterial properties, in vitro, of three Patchouli essential oils of different origins = Antifungal and antibacterial properties in vitro of three patchouly oils from different origins. Acta botanica gallica, 1996, vol. 143, no.1, pp. 29-35
- Go↑ Tsai YC, Hsu HC, Yang WC, Tsai WJ, Chen CC, Watanabe T. Alpha-bulnesene, a PAF inhibitor isolated from the essential oil of Pogostemon cablin. Fitoterapia. 2007 Jan;78(1):7-11. PMID 17107759
- Go↑ Hsu HC, Yang WC, Tsai WJ, Chen CC, Huang HY, Tsai YC. Alpha-bulnesene, a novel PAF receptor antagonist isolated from Pogostemon cablin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006 Jul 7;345(3):1033-8. PMID 16712790
- Go↑ Chen G, Xie X, Peng F, Wang T, Chen J, Li G, Liu J, Peng C. Protective effect of the combination of essential oil from patchouli and tangerine peel against gastric ulcer in rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2022 Jan 10;282:114645. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2021.114645. PMID 34530094.
- Go↑ Jeong JB, Choi J, Lou Z, Jiang X, Lee SH. Patchouli alcohol, an essential oil of Pogostemon cablin, exhibits anti-tumorigenic activity in human colorectal cancer cells. Int Immunopharmacol. 2013 Jun;16(2):184-90. doi: 10.1016/j.intimp.2013.04.006. PMID 23602914
- Go↑ Wang, H. T., Wang, Z. Z., Wang, Z. C., Wang, S. M., Cai, X. J., Su, G. H., & Yuan, Z. Y. (2016). Patchouli alcohol attenuates experimental atherosclerosis via inhibiting macrophage infiltration and its inflammatory responses. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, 83, 930-935.
- Go↑ Liao, J. B., Wu, D. W., Peng, S. Z., Xie, J. H., Li, Y. C., Su, J. Y., ... & Su, Z. R. (2013). Immunomodulatory potential of patchouli alcohol isolated from Pogostemon cablin (Blanco) Benth (Lamiaceae) in mice. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 12(4), 559-565.
Store in a cool, dry place, away from light. Keep tightly closed, away from the reach of Children and pets.
Do not exceed the daily dose.
This product is not intended to prevent or cure any form of illness or disease.
If you are pregnant or nursing ; If you have a medical condition or are in the course of medical treatment ; If you are programmed for theater/operation in the near future, please consult your healthcare practitioner before using this product.
This product cannot replace a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.
This product has not been evaluated by the SAHPRA for its quality, safety or intended use.