Arrowroot Powder - 75 g - Herbal Collection
Arrow Root Powder - Herbal Collection
Arrowroot, scientifically known as Maranta arundinacea, is an herbaceous plant native to the tropical regions of Central and South America.
It has been traditionally used for various culinary and medicinal purposes for centuries.
The starch derived from the roots of the arrowroot plant, called arrowroot powder, is the most commonly used part of the plant. Below are some of its benefits, properties, and traditional uses:
- Digestive Health: Arrowroot has been traditionally used to promote digestive health due to its high starch content. It may help in treating diarrhea, constipation, and other digestive issues by soothing the gut lining and promoting regular bowel movements.
- Gluten-Free Alternative: Arrowroot powder is gluten-free, making it an excellent alternative to wheat flour for those with gluten intolerance or celiac disease. It can be used as a thickening agent in soups, sauces, and gravies or as a substitute for flour in baking recipes.
- Nutrient Content: Arrowroot is a good source of several essential nutrients, including potassium, iron, and B-vitamins. These nutrients contribute to overall health by supporting metabolism, nerve function, and maintaining healthy blood pressure levels.
- Skin Care: Arrowroot powder is used in traditional medicine to treat various skin conditions, such as wounds, burns, and insect bites, due to its soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also used in natural cosmetics as a base for body powders and deodorants, as it absorbs moisture and reduces odors.
- Immune System Support: Arrowroot has been traditionally used to boost the immune system due to its antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. These qualities may help protect against infections and promote overall health.
- Weight Management: The high fiber content in arrowroot may help regulate appetite and promote a feeling of fullness, aiding in weight management.
It is essential to note that while arrowroot has many potential benefits, more research is needed to fully understand its properties and uses.
It is always a good idea to consult a healthcare professional before incorporating any new herbal remedy into your routine.
Translation in English by Google Translate (go to the page of the source linked | on Chrome cellphones go on the 3 dots on the top right and select translate in your preferred language | on laptop right click your mouse and select option translate when hoovering on the page
International Latin denomination
Marantaceae ( Zingiberales )
Description and habitat
- Caulescent or stemless perennial herb
- Cultivated in the islands for its starch-rich rhizome
- The Marantaceae are species from the pantropical regions, especially America, whose limb is often stained with colored spots (assimilation in a dark environment)
- Toloman is used in the same way in Martinique in infant feeding
History and tradition
- All the Creole children eat “rougoute”, Dictame starch which is like the Blédina of the islands
Dosage forms available
Main components of the plant
- Low protein, no gluten
- Flavonoids ( rutin )
- Minerals: phosphorus, calcium, potassium, chlorides, silicates
Main components of buds or young shoots
Main components of essential oil
- Antidiarrheal 
- Interesting in celiac diseases 
- 1 ha of dittam produces 10 to 20 tons of rhizome / year => average extraction of 10%, which gives 1 to 2 tons of starch per hectare
- Glycemic index = 85
Properties of essential oil
Indications of the whole plant (phytotherapy)
- Gluten-free diets, celiac disease
- Pastries, cakes, etc.
Indications of the bud (gemmotherapy)
Specific indications of essential oil (aromatherapy)
Known or suspected mode of action
Possible side effects and precautions for use
- Aller↑ Cooke C, Carr I, Abrams K, Mayberry J. Arrowroot as a treatment for diarrhea in irritable bowel syndrome patients: a pilot study. Arq Gastroenterol. 2000 Jan-Mar;37(1):20-4. PMID 10962623
- Aller↑ Kangambega Walé. Survey on the use of dittam in the diet of healthy infants in Guadeloupe. Medical thesis, Faculty of Medicine of the Antilles and Guyana, February 2010
Store in a cool, dry place, away from light. Keep tightly closed, away from the reach of Children and pets.
Do not exceed the daily dose.
This product is not intended to prevent or cure any form of illness or disease.
If you are pregnant or nursing ; If you have a medical condition or are in the course of medical treatment ; If you are programmed for theater/operation in the near future, please consult your healthcare practitioner before using this product.
This product cannot replace a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.
This product has not been evaluated by the SAHPRA for its quality, safety or intended use.