Sutherlandia ( Lessertia frutescens ) - 60 Capsules - Herbal Collection
Sutherlandia frutescens ( Lessertia frutescens ) 60 Capsules - Herbal Collection
May help with
- antiretroviral activity
- immunological activity
- improves fatigue in oncology
Translation in English by Google Translate (go to the page of the source linked | on Chrome cellphones go on the 3 dots on the top right and select translate in your preferred language | on laptop right click your mouse and select option translate when hoovering on the page
International Latin denomination
Description and habitat
- Erect shrub, sparsely furnished, with evergreen gray-green foliage, downy, with an aromatic smell and bitter taste, with scarlet red flowering, the fruits are translucent pods with very hard pyrophyte seeds (the heat of the fire activates their germination)
- From South Africa
History and tradition
- Used by traditional healers in fevers, flu, as a tonic, to treat cancer and in stomach ailments
- Aerial parts
Dosage forms available
Main components of the plant
- Amino acids: arginine, L-canavanine (antimetabolite of L-arginine)
Main components of buds or young shoots
Main components of essential oil
- Antiviral, antiretroviral activity  , 
- Immunological activity
- Antibacterial and antioxidant activity 
- Analgesic  and anti-inflammatory activity by inhibition of COX-2 
- Anticancer activity, inhibits cell proliferation of several human tumor cell lines: MCF7 cells, MDA-MB-468, Jurkat, HL60 
- Improves fatigue in oncology 
- L-canavanine protects the plant from various predatory insects
Properties of essential oil
Indications of the whole plant (phytotherapy)
- AIDS (?)
Indications of the bud (gemmotherapy)
Specific indications of essential oil (aromatherapy)
Known or suspected mode of action
Possible side effects and precautions for use
- Go↑ Mills E, Cooper C, Seely D, Kanfer I. African herbal medicines in the treatment of HIV: Hypoxis and Sutherlandia. An overview of evidence and pharmacology. Nutr J. 2005 May 31;4:19. PMID 15927053 full text
- Go↑ Harnett SM, Oosthuizen V, van de Venter M. Anti-HIV activities of organic and aqueous extracts of Sutherlandia frutescens and Lobostemon trigonus. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005 Jan 4;96(1-2):113-9. PMID 15588658
- Go↑ Katerere DR, Eloff JN. Antibacterial and antioxidant activity of Sutherlandia frutescens (Fabaceae), a reputed anti-HIV/AIDS phytomedicine. Phytother Res. 2005 Sep;19(9):779-81. PMID 16220570
- Go↑ Ojewole JA. Analgesic, antiinflammatory and hypoglycemic effects of Sutherlandia frutescens R. BR. (variety Incana E. MEY.) [Fabaceae] shoot aqueous extract. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol. 2004 Jul-Aug;26(6):409-16. PMID 15349136
- Go↑ Joydeb Kumar Kundu, Kensese S. Mossanda, Hye-Kyung Na, Young-Joon Surh. Inhibitory effects of the extracts of Sutherlandia frutescens (L.) R. Br. and Harpagophytum procumbens DC. on phorbol ester-induced COX-2 expression in mouse skin: AP-1 and CREB as potential upstream targets. Cancer Letters, 2005, Volume 218, Issue 1, Pages 21-31
- Go↑ Tai J, Cheung S, Chan E, Hasman D. In vitro culture studies of Sutherlandia frutescens on human tumor cell lines. J Ethnopharmacol. 2004 Jul;93(1):9-19. PMID 15182898
- Go↑ M. Grandi, L. Roselli, M. Vernay. Lessertia (Sutherlandia frutescens) and fatigue in oncology. Phytotherapy, Volume 3, Number 3, 110-113
- Vanessa C. Korb; Devapregasan Moodley; Anil A. Chuturgoon. Apoptosis-promoting effects of Sutherlandia frutescens extracts on normal human lymphocytes in vitro. South African Journal of Science, vol.106 no.1-2 Jan./Feb. 2010 
- SM Harnett, V Oosthuizen, M. van de Venter. Anti-HIV activities of organic and aqueous extracts of Sutherlandia frutescens and Lobostemon trigonus. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, Volume 96, Issues 1-2, 4 January 2005, Pages 113-119
- BE. van Wyk, C. Albrecht. A review of the taxonomy, ethnobotany, chemistry and pharmacology of Sutherlandia frutescens (Fabaceae). Journal of Ethnopharmacology, Volume 119, Issue 3, 28 October 2008, Pages 620-629. PMID 18761068
Store in a cool, dry place, away from light. Keep tightly closed, away from the reach of Children and pets.
Do not exceed the daily dose.
This product is not intended to prevent or cure any form of illness or disease.
If you are pregnant or nursing ; If you have a medical condition or are in the course of medical treatment ; If you are programmed for theater/operation in the near future, please consult your healthcare practitioner before using this product.
This product cannot replace a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.
This product has not been evaluated by the SAHPRA for its quality, safety or intended use.