INCI name: Matricaria recutita
SKU code: EN-CAB-0005
EXTRACTION METHOD: Steam distillation
PARTS USED: Flower
COMMON NAMES: German chamomile, wild chamomile, scented mayweed, wild chamomile, common Matricaria, Blue chamomile
APPEARANCE: Characteristic indigo-deep blue colour, translucid liquid
ODOUR NOTE: very characteristic highly aromatic herbal, honey- fruity, sweet, and warm aroma
QUALITY 100 % pure, natural and whole essential oil. high content of chamazulene and alpha-bisabolol oxides
STORAGE CONDITION: Store in a cool dark place.
SKIN ALLERGIES, DERMATOSES, ROSACEA, REDNESS, INFLAMMATION, ITCHES, ECZEMA CALMING APPEASING AND SOOTHING, ANXIETY, ANGUISH, DISTRESS, PANIC, ASTHMA, DEPRESSION (NERVOUS), BLUES, INSOMNIA, STOMACH DIGESTION ACHES, STRESS, STIFF NECK., PERIOD PAINS, MENSTRUATIONS, CARE AND MAINTENANCE OF BLOND HAIR, KEEP WHITE HAIR FROM TURNING YELLOW
Long known for its powerful soothing effects, the Matricaria or German chamomile grows in temperate climates of Europe all trough Asia (Italy, Germany, Hungary, Nepal).
The plant has been a reference for ages, as one of the best natural anti- allergy and calming herbs to keep at hands. Its name Matricaria, comes from the Latin “Matri”, which means Mother because of its use to relieve so-called "women's affectations", understand menstrual discomforts. It has been applied on the skin in soothing and restoring compresses or in targeted massages.
Once distilled, the tiny flowers yield the most gorgeous and rare deep indigo blue essential oil.
The oil has traditionally been recommended throughout the world to combat irritation and itching due to allergies and used to prepare creams and lotions to help soothe skins that are reactive, sensitive, prone to redness. “German” chamomile or Matricaria essential oil is also used in many hair care compositions for its reputation to lighten and add a healthy sparkle to naturally blond, whitening, and grey hair.
MASSAGES, BODY CARE & BEAUTY
- For targeted body massages: +++
- In Skin and hair care: ++
- Diffusion: +. (not recommended by itself. Always mix with another essential oil (1 drop of blue chamomile for 4 drops another essential oil).
Reported benefits & properties:
- Antiallergic, Antipruritic +++
- Anti-Inflammatory +++
- Decongestant ++:
- Antispasmodic ++:
- Scar Healing ++:
- The chamazulene and α-bisabolol molecules present in Matricaria chamomile are reported to inhibit the release of histamine during an allergic reaction such as itching, skin irritation or asthma attacks.
- Those same molecules in Matricaria chamomile essential oil are also reported to limit inflammatory reactions, thus soothing and calming itches, and minor aches.
- The sesquiterpenols and sesquiterpenes present are thought to promote a better circulation of blood in the skin and a good oxygenation of skin cells. Blue chamomile is reported to be a particularly good skin decongestant that helps boost the skin healing, regeneration and scaring process.
- calms involuntary muscle contractions.
Traditionally used for:
- Skin problems: anti-inflammatory and astringent to soothe, sensitive, reactive, itching, and inflamed skins: allergy-prone skin, oozing eczema, psoriasis, acne, dermatitis, rosacea, inflamed skin, razor fire and cuts, skin redness
- Emotional shock, or anxiety episodes
- Period Pains, as an antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory (imitates estrogen action, hormone-like)
- Digestion, bloating.
- Hair beauty to brighten blond hair and prevents the yellowing of white hair
- In perfumery for its sweet herbal aroma
- In Europe, German chamomile extract have been used for its characteristic taste, highly appreciated in liqueurs. It is also particularly added in gourmet cuisine, to bring a surprising sweet herbal note in honeys, as a mild naturally sweetener in herbal teas, in syrups, in pastries and specialty candies.
Dilute 1 drop in 4 drops of carrier oil carrier oil,
Mix up to 2% in your cosmetic preparation with aloe vera, base cream, shampoo, or conditioner.
Targeted body massage oil (menstrual pains, stomach spams)
Serums for skin care
- In topical cream/oils to help calm irritated skins due to allergies, eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, minor cuts and grazes, acne.
- In topical serums or cream for sensitive skins, rosacea, itching skins, and scalps
- Regenerative and soothing, blue chamomile with Aloe vera, Calendula or Hemp seed oil is valued as after shave and care for atopic skins.
- To alleviate digestive disorders and spasm: period pains, slow digestion, flatulence, bloating, nausea (abdominal massages)
- To calm, de-stress, relieve anxiety, in inhalation from tissues, hands or inner wrists (apply 1drop diluted in a teaspoon of carrier oil and inhale slowly and deeply)
- De-stress. Apply a few drops diluted in carrier oil to the solar plexus or along the spine.
- In shampoo and conditioners, add 1 drop of Blue chamomile to one measure of your shampoo/conditioner.
- In perfumery and aromatic blends for its very specials sweet herbal scent.
Blends well with:
- Skin Allergies/ reactions with Lavender essential oil, Calendula or Hemp seed oil carrier oil
- To calm and help dry wet eczema (oozing) with Peppermint, Cistus or Palmarosa essential oil, Lavandin essential oil, Niaouli essential oil, Aloe vera or Calendula macerated oil.
- Period pains with Primrose carrier oil
- In diffuser for inducing and restoring calm and balance: in a synergy with Petitgrain bigarade, Sweet orange, Mandarin or lavender, ylang-ylang, Marjoram essential oils
- Do not use during the first 3 months of pregnancy, neither during breastfeeding, nor in children under 3 years of age.
- Not recommended for people with a history of hormone-dependent conditions.