Millettia pinnata syn. Pongamia glabra
BODY, FACE, HAIR. ALL SKIN TYPES. RESTORE ELASTICITY. HYDRATING. DRY, DEHYDRATED SKINS PROBLEMATIC OILY AND COMBINATION SKINS. ACNE AND BLEMISH PRONE. HEALTHY AGING, MATURE SKIN, WRINKLES AND FINE LINES. FRAGILE, SUN DAMAGED SENSITIVE SKINS. OILY HAIR. DRY OIL. REGENERATING AND SKIN SOFTENING. SKIN CONDITIONING AGENT, HAIR CONDITIONING AGENT.SUN PROTECTION BOOSTER (NATURAL SPF RANGE BETWEEN 25-35) FOR SUN EXPOSED SKINS.
INCI name: Pongamia glabra (Karanja) seed oil
SYNONYMS: Millettia pinnata
CAS number: 247588-54-1
EXTRACTION METHOD: Cold Pressed
PARTS USED: seeds/kernels.
COMMON NAMES: Pongamia oil, Honge oil, Kanuga oil, Kurunj oil.
APPEARANCE: amber yellow to brown, Rich to the touch, fluid oil.
ODOUR NOTE: Faint fresh nuts odour.
STORAGE CONDITION: Store in a cool dark place
INFO and INTERESTING FACTS: Traditionally used in India, Karanja oil is cold pressed from the seeds of the Pongamia tree. This 100% pure carrier oil is rich in omega-9 and contains 2 special rare and active molecules, Pongamol and Karanjin. Those properties give Karanja oil its highly hydrating qualities that contribute to the skin elasticity. Ideal for skins prone to acne and blemishes, Karanja oil is also valued when it comes to prepare and protect our skins and hair before being exposed to the sun’s UVA and UVB and is increasingly used as an added sun protection/booster ingredient in sunscreen formulas.
ALL SKIN TYPES and ALL HAIR TYPES. OILY AND COMBINATION SKINS. IDEAL FOR ACNE PRONE, BLEMISH PRONE, FUNGI-RELATED SKIN CONDITIONS. OILY AND COMBINATION SKINS. FRAGILE SKINS AND SENSITIVE SKIN, FLAKY SKINS. MATURE SKINS. IRRITATED SKINS (ECZEMA, PSORIASIS…). SUN DAMAGED, TIRED SKINS. AGING SKINCARE ROUTINES. TO INCLUDE IN DAILY SKIN SUN PROTECTION ROUTINES, FOR PEOPLE INVOLVED IN SPORTS AND REGULAR OUTDOORS ACTIVITIES.
+++: Highly recommended,
FACE CARE, OILY & COMBINATIONS, ACNE, BLEMISHES: +++
HAIR, DYED HAIR, SCALP, BEAR SCALPS: +++
MATURE SKINS, FINE LINES, WRINKLES, DEHYDRATED: +++
BODY CARE AND WELLBEING MASSAGES: ++
+++ Main property.
++ Major property.
+ Minor property
COMEDOGENIC (May Cause clogging of pores) 0=NO, 1 to 2 = HARDLY, 3 to 4 = YES, 5= MOST PROBABLY.
EMOLLIENT, SKIN SOFTENING and HYDRATING: +++
SKIN REGENERATING, SCAR HEALING: +++
SKIN PROTECTING, SKIN PHOTO PROTECTING: +++
ANTISEPTIC, ANTIBACTERIAL, INSECTICIDAL, ANTIFUNGAL, PURIFYING: +++
KARANJA OIL can have a warming effect on sensitive skins. Always use this oil diluted in another carrier oil:
FOR FACE AND HAIR CARE: 15% KARANJA OIL IN 85% OTHER APPROPRIATE CARRIER (1 Tablespoon KARANJA + 5 1/2 Tablespoons CARRIER OR 1 teaspoon KARANJA OIL + 2 Tablespoons OTHER CARRIER)
FOR BODY:75% KARANJA OIL IN 25% OTHER APPROPRIATE CARRIER (3Tbsp of Karanja oil +1 Tbsp of carrier)
USE DILUTED IN AN OTHER CARRIER OIL or in ALOE VERA GEL FORM (1 Tablespoon carrier oil/ 100ml Aloe vera gel form- To create simple refreshing and hydrating lotion):
USE AS AN INGREDIENT TO BASE CREAMS, LOTIONS, CONDITIONERS, CLAYS:
To Create your personalised cream, serums, masks, make-up cleanser for face, make hair conditioner creams, pre and after shampoo, hair serum and masks. Perfect in customized body oils, for skin care or wellbeing massages.
ON A CLEAN FACE, lightly spray some water, aloe vera or hydrosol to hydrate, apply 2-3 drops on damp skin and massage morning and night to hydrate, protect and regenerate. Hardly comedogenic (Suitable for oily/acne prone skin)
FOR BODY HYDRATING OR IN MASSAGES: apply after shower/bath, on a slightly damp skin. Massage until absorbed.
ON HAIR OR SCALP: used as an add-in ingredient for hair or scalp/ bear scalp serums, best when applied to damp hair/scalp.
ON FACE & BODY:
- To hydrate and to protect the skin from further dehydration,
- To create purifying creams, lotions, serums…for acne prone, skin fungi or blemished skins
- To restore and promote your skin elasticity, support your skin cells' good regeneration process, keeping your skin barrier soft to the touch but strong and healthy.
- In maturing and mature skins care, protecting, hydrating, and regenerating day creams and lotions.
- To create BB (Blemish Balm) creams, to protect, hydrate and even. For people with skin problems: oily skin, acne. Add neutral base cream and use daily part of your morning skin care routine, to replace moisturizer and foundation.
- To create DD (Daily Defense) creams. Add a few drops to neutral base cream and use daily as a protecting cream before make-up.
- To promote new collagen building and protect/slow down further collagen degradation and to help minimize the appearance of scars.
- Sun care /after-sun care: To boost your daily sun protection. Apply in association with natural mineral based sunscreens/FILTERS/ BLOCKERS products (non-nano or micronized zinc oxide and titanium dioxide-based creams), to prepare the skin before daily activities in the sun (Sports, gardening, outdoor works farming, sailing…), To regenerate and re-hydrate the skin, as an after-sun care.
ON HAIR, SCALPS.
- To strengthen and add shine to devitalized, damaged, dyed hair. in hair masks with clay hair serums, pre-shampoo routines and conditioners.
- To protect hair from environmental damages (Sun, dehydration from wind...)
FOR ACNE AND BLEMISHES: with jojoba oil and tea tree/ niaouli, palmarosa or rosemary essential oil. Apply at night on a clean face.
FOR BODY: Wheat Germ, Rice Bran, Argan Oils, Palmarosa, Sage, Rosemary, Rock Rose, Lavender Essential Oils
FOR HAIR PROTECTION, DYED HAIR: with Castor oil, Argan oil, Neem oil, Amla oil, Coconut oil, Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil.
FOR SUN PROTECTION BOOSTING*: in sunscreen cream, mixed with zinc oxide in a neutral base cream: with Raspberry seed oil, Carrot ROOT oil (macerated oil).
FOR MATURING OR MATURE SKINS, FINE LINES, WRINKLES: Evening Primrose, Rosehip Oil; Rose Geranium Essential Oil.
*KNOWN NATURAL SUN PROTECTION FACTOR OF PLANT OILS: Raspberry oil (SPF 28-50), Karanja oil (SPF 25-35), Wheat germ oil (SPF+/- 20), Carrot ROOT Carrier oil (SPF 38-40), Avocado oil/ butter (SPF 15) Coconut butter (SPF 8), Shea butter (SPF 6), Mint essential oil (SPF 8).
Cold pressed from the seed of the Pongamia tree native to India, Karanja oil has recently been studied as one of the natural ingredients that can absorb much of the sun’s UV. As such it is increasingly included as an ingredient, in many natural sunscreen formulas, to help boost the protection of skins from sunburns and to fight photo aging (0.4-0.7% PONGAMOL, 2-3% KARANJIN ACIDS). In India, the whole plant is valued and traditionally used in various fungi-related skin disorders (Pityriasis versicolor), to purify skin abscesses, boils, and sores. Being a “warming oil”, body massages that include Karanja oil are frequently used in rheumatism and joints discomforts applications. Karanja oil is also used in organic agriculture and animal farming for its insecticidal properties.
The Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA) provides recommendations for ensuring safe sun exposure. The following are steps that provide a practical approach to protecting yourself from the effects of the sun.
- Limit direct sun exposure during midday
- Cover up against sun exposure. Wear UV protective clothing and choose loose fitting.
- Wear a hat with a wide brim that covers the face, neck, and ear.
- Use sunscreen with an SPF of 20 (twenty) or higher. Apply thick layers and reapply frequently.
- Wear sunglasses that block UV rays.
- Avoid sunlamps and tanning booths.
- Check your skin regularly.
- Check for the UV index sometimes provided on the weather report on TV.
- Karanja oil used by itself, like other natural plant oils, is not recognized officially as a sun blocker or UVA/UVB filter by health authorities. It is suggested that Karanja oil can be used as an added ingredient into a natural mineral sun blocker base (that contains zinc oxide), applied to skins before natural sunscreen creams/lotions or as an after-sun skin care.
- Zinc oxide (Micro or non-Nano) and Titanium dioxide (micro or non-nano) have been recognized as safe* physical, mineral, and natural large spectrum UVA-UVB blockers. (*when applied to skin.)
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- As a rule, always perform a skin patch test before using any product, even natural oils, for the first time.
- WARNING: These properties, indications and methods of use are taken from reference works or websites in aromatherapy, hydrolatherapy and phytotherapy. They are found there regularly and for many confirmed by observations in scientific circles. However, this information is given for informational purposes, it cannot in any case constitute medical information, nor engage our responsibility. For any use for therapeutic purposes, consult a doctor.