Pelargonium graveolens (syn. Pelargonium x asperum)
ALL ROUND SKIN CARES. OILY AND COMBINATION SKINS, ACNE PRONE SKINS. DRY AND SENSITIVE SKINS DAMAGED, INFLAMMED, IRRITATED SKINS. DULL SKINS. OILY HAIR, DANDRUFF, IRRITATED SCALPS. PURIFYING. COOLING, REFRESHING, CALMING.
INCI name: Pelargonium graveolens distillate water
CAS number: 90082-51-2
SKU code: HO-GER-0100
EXTRACTION METHOD: steam distillation.
PARTS USED: leaves and flowering tops.
ORIGIN: Grown and distilled in South Africa.
COMMON NAMES: Bourbon geranium hydrosol, Sweet- scented Geranium hydrosol, Geranium floral water.
APPEARANCE: colourless, transparent liquid.
ODOUR NOTE: fresh, sweetly flowery, slightly reminiscent of rose and herbal.
QUALITY: 100 % pure fresh hydrosol, unadulterated, without added preservatives, alcohol or emulsifiers. Concentration 1/1: 1kg fresh material (leaves and flowers) produces 1litre hydrosol. pH: 3.5-5.0
STORAGE CONDITION: Our Hydrosols are fresh products, free of preservatives or alcohol. They are sensitive to contaminations. Keep them refrigerated. Once opened, use within 3 months.
INFOS AND INTERESTING FACTS
Hydrosols retain the exact same active molecules as their essential oil’s counterpart.
Hydrosols lower concentration in those aromatic molecules and the fact that are mostly composed of the distilled water makes them a softer alternative to essential oils, suitable even for the most delicate and sensitive skins. Hydrosol are considered safe to use during pregnancies (after the 3rd month).
Note that: Each Hydrosol has its own characteristic fragrance, often significantly different from its corresponding essential oil. That is because the fragrance of a hydrosol depends on how much of the aromatic molecules of the fresh plant can be dissolved in water during the distillation process.
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: +++
- CALMING: +++
- HAEMOSTATIC +++
- CIRCULATORY, TONIC: +++
- PURIFYING, ASTRINGENT: +++
- ADAPTOGEN & BALANCING: +++
- HYDRATING: +++
- ANTISEPTIC, ANTI-BACTERIAL ANTI-FUNGAL to the skin. ++
- SKIN SOFTENING: ++
- VERY AROMATIC: ++
- INSECT REPELLENT ++
ALL SKIN TYPES. FOR OILY, SENSITIVE, IRRITATED SKINS. FOR SKINS SUBJECT TO RASHES, INFLAMED PIMPLES/MARKED SCARRING, HYPERPIGMENTATION ON SKIN PRONE TO REDNESS, ROSACEA, BROKEN CAPILLARIES. IN INGROWN HAIR AND SHAVING RASHES. FOR BATHS. FOR BODY AND SKIN SPRAY. FOR ROOM SPRAYS TO CALM TENSIONS AND CREATE A RELAXING, POSITIVE ATMOSPHERE.
Geranium hydrosol is traditionally used:
- On its own or combined with other hydrosols, for daily skin, hair and body care
- Added to a variety of skin, hair and body care bases to make:
- Lotions and after shave/wax care
- Face masks with clays (instead of water)
- Refreshing cleansers and toners.
- Frictions for scalps
- Hair conditioners
- As skin softener, to restore good skin elasticity. On compresses to combat the build-up of rough skins and regenerate calluses on elbows, knees, hand and feet.
- To soothe various skin inflammations, calm sunburns, redness, rashes, insect bites and other “heat” related irritations as in menopausal hot flushes, …
- To cleanse minor cuts, grazes and wounds.
- To help promote blood clotting and stop minor bleedings. Helps with healthy scar healing.
- As an astringent purifying after-shave.
- To stimulates blood circulation in varicose, spider veins or heavy legs conditions.
- For stretch marks.
- For scalp frictions in control of dandruff.
- In steam facial care to help detox or purify acne, pimples, and other imperfections prone skins
- In natural insect repellant
- In natural room and linen sprays.
Use by itself, combine with other hydrosols, or add to your cream/lotions or butters
Fantastic for this use +++
Acceptable (suitable) for this use ++
- Hygiene: +++
- To stop bleeds and cleanse minor grazes, cut and other wounds.
- Well-being, Massages & body care +++
- Body massages +++ In aromatic massages. Spray some hydrosol on your oiled skin before starting your massage
- Geranium is versatile and balancing. It is reputed for triggering different responses on different situations (adaptogen): it is revitalizing and energizing on tired, toneless and exhausted subjects; it becomes calm inducing, appeasing in nervous, anxious, stress related situations.
- Face care +++
- Facial cleanser or make-up remover: spray on a cotton swab and cleanse.
- Facial or body spray (including feet): to re-fresh and hydrate the skin throughout the day. Store in the fridge on hot days for a super refreshing and hydrating mist.
- Face steam to help clean and detox imperfections: In a big bowl of hot water (just steaming but comfortable) add: 2 Tablespoons of Geranium hydrosol, 2 Tablespoons of Rosemary hydrosol and 2 drops of tea tree essential oil. Place your face at about 20 cm over the bowl and make a “tent” with a towel over your head and the bowl. Steam for 10-15 min.
- To soothe irritated, Rosacea prone skins: combine 3 drops each of Rockrose and German chamomile essential oils in 2 Tablespoon of Aloe vera gel and add 1 Tablespoon Geranium Hydrosol. Shake to combine. Apply regularly as a soothing lotion.
- Use to replace water in your clay masks.
- Perfect to hydrate very dry skins or after a day spent exposed to harsh and drying environments (cold, wind, air con or heaters, airplanes, …)
- To make lighter versions of thick creams or butter: if you find that your face/body cream texture is too thick, or if you wish for a lighter texture of your favourite cream (summer vs winter), just add a spay or two of your hydrosols to your dose of cream, directly into your hand, mix and apply.
- Body & Hair care +++
- Hair and scalp leave-on conditioner. Lightly spritz on hair and massage into scalp. Do not rinse and style as usual.
- As a natural light deodorant.
- To hydrate the skin after a clay mask before applying moisturizer (spray your face with the hydrosol, follow directly with a few drops of hyaluronic acid serum(optional), on a wet skin, to “lock-in” the moist. Apply and massage in your moisturizer on the still slightly damp skin, for maximum hydration
- To hydrate the skin before moisturizing with body oils, butter, lotion or creams (see up).
- Bath +++:
- add 1 Tablespoon of your hydrosol to the water for an aromatic bath.
- Natural Homecare +++
- As room, linen or car purifying, relaxing, refreshing and deodorant spray.
- Natural Homecare +++
For more detailed information, please go check this LINK TO Instructions of use hydrosol page
Please consider your allergies/reactions to a particular plant or your medical conditions restrictions and apply the same cautionary rules as with essential oils. PATCH TEST PAGE LINK
Ask your doctor (medical practitioner) if you are following a treatment or taking medications. Always make a patch test and discontinue use if adverse reactions occur.