PRECIOUS OIL. FACE, BODY, HAIR AND NAILS. ALL SKIN TYPES. DRY SKINS. MATURE SKINS. SUN DAMAGED, SQUAMES, HARD AND ROUGHT SKINS. SKIN SOFTENING, HYDRATING, NOURISHING. IMPROVE THE APPEARANCE OF SCARS, WRINKLES, FINE LINES. DARK SPOTS, DARK CIRCLES, UNDER EYES BAGS. HYPER PIGMENTATION, UNEVEN SKIN TONES. DAMAGED, FRAGILE, DRY HAIR. FRAGILE NAILS.
INCI name: Opuntia ficus-indica (Prickly pear) seed oil.
CAS number: 90082-21-6
EXTRACTION METHOD: Cold pressed.
PARTS USED: Seeds.
COMMON NAMES: Barbary fig oil, Cactus seed oil, Nopal oil.
APPEARANCE: Pale yellow to green-yellow liquid oil. Light oil.
ODOUR NOTE: characteristic nutty, hay-like odour.
QUALITY: 100 % pure and natural, organic carrier oil. For cosmetic and personal care direct uses and formulations.
STORAGE CONDITION; keep tightly closed and store in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight.
COMPOSITION: 61.40% LINOLEIC ACID (OMEGA-6), 19.90% OLEIC ACID (OMEGA-9), 12.20% PALMITIC ACID, Vit. A, E and K.
Info and interesting facts:
Native to Mexico, Prickly pear cactus plant find themselves at home in the many arid and semi-arid regions of the world, where it is cultivated both for its rich fruits and for the oil cold pressed from the seeds. Along with the famous Argan oil, Prickly pear seed oil has been a favourite of traditional Moroccan hammam hygiene and skin care for centuries. The Barbary fig seed oil as it is often called, is now recognized for its outstanding bioactive properties, and included extensively in luxurious cosmeceutical brand formulas. Our prickly pear oil, cold pressed from the seeds (and not the flowers as it is often the case!) is highly concentrated in vit. E and K, both important actors of the good regeneration of our skin and healthy blood circulation processes. Perfect to create dark circles or under-eyes bags circulatory and decongesting serums, The prickly pear seed oil is ideal in the daily care of fragile maturing and mature skins.
ALL SKIN TYPES. DRY SKINS. MATURE AND DEHYDRATED SKINS. FRAGILE, DAMAGED HAIR. WRINKLES, FINE LINES, SCARS, STRETCH MARKS PREVENTION AND DAILY CARE. DARK SPOTS, SUNSPOTS, DARK CIRCLES, UNEVEN SKIN TONES AND HYPER-PIGMENTATION DAILY CARE. AFTER-SUN CARE. RESTORE VITALITY AND FIRMNESS TO SAGGING SKINS
+++: Highly recommended,
DELICATE SKINS: +++
MATURE SKINS ++
- BODY CARE: ++
- FACE CARE: +++
- HAIR CARE: ++
+++ Main property.
++ Major property.
+ Minor property
COMEDOGENIC (May Cause clogging of pores) 0=NO, 1 to 2 = HARDLY, 3 to 4 = YES, 5= VERY
- ANTIOXIDANT: +++
- SKIN SOFTENING, NOURISHING, HYDRATING: +++
- REGENERATING, SCAR IMPROVING: +++
- CIRCULATORY, FIMING, TONING: +++
- MOISTURIZING: +++
- HYDRATING, EMOLLIENT: +++
- COAGULANT (VIT, K): +++
- CICATRIZING: ++
Rich in Vit. A (Antioxidant+++, protects skin cells from free- radical aggressions – sun, pollution, tobacco, boost the natural collagen building and healthy cells regeneration processes in skins), Rich in in Vit. E (slows down the aging process of skin cells, maintains and preserve good skin hydration and healthy skin barrier), Rich in Vit. K (important for healthy blood circulation, heathy blood clotting and bone metabolism processes)
Our Prickly pear seed oil is a fast absorbing, non-comedogenic, dry to the touch oil.
- On itself, as a body and face care, massages, and daily routines. Apply a few drops of Prickly pear seed oil, at night before bedtime, directly on your area of concern (dark circles, under eyes bags…)
- To dilute essential oils,
- Associated with butters, carrier oils or base cream/lotions, to make lip balms, gorgeous serums, and perfumed oils.
Prickly pear seed oil is known to be valued:
- As an antioxidant ingredient in wrinkles and stretch marks serums, creams, lotions, or body oils. Both to help postpone their early apparition, and to support the healthy normal maturing of skins (hand, face or body creams, lotions.)
- As a daily skincare ingredient, to keep the skin firm and supple.
- As a toning and firming ingredient into body creams…for sagging or toneless skins. Applied to arms, decolletage, neck and under chin, potential, or existing stretch marks.
- As a stimulating, blood circulating ingredient in under eyes serums for areas affected by dark circles and congestions/bags. In hyperpigmentation cream.
- To create tonic, firming and plumping creams, massage oils, balms, or lotions for sagging skins.
- Included in creams that aim to restore skin elasticity.
- In aromatherapy massages, as carrier for essential oils.
- To TONE AND FIRM SAGGING SKINS, stretch marks…: can be blended with Hemp seed, Daisy flower, Rosehip or Apricot kernel carrier oils and/or with a few drops of Helichrysum, or Rose geranium, French Lavender essential oils.
- For DARK CIRCLES AND CONGESTIONS UNDER EYES: NO essential oils next to eyes! But blends well with Rosehip oil, Kakadu plum oil, Avocado oil or tamanu oil.
- For HYPERPIGMENTATION, DARK SPOTS, SUNSPOTS: with Licorice oil, Kakadu plum oil.
- For STRETCH MARKS CARE, POST-PREGNANCY SKIN CARE: with shea butter, Daisy flowers, Wheat germ, Macadamia carrier oil.
- For DRY SKINS, SENSITIVE SKINS, AFTER SUN: with Karanja oil, Raspberry oil, Daisy flower oil, Sesame seed oil, Baobab oil, Shea butter
- For DRY HAIR, FRAGILE, BREAKING HAIR: to create a live-in serum a few drops of Prickly pear with neem, argan, amla, Castor oil. Use as a serum or add to a neutral base gel, aloe vera gel or cream for a live-in conditioning treatment. To create a hair mask with Rhassoul clay.
There is often a confusion between the 2 types of Prickly pear oil.
One is a macerated oil obtained by infusing the flowers or entire fruits of Prickly pears. The process of fabrication of the infused oil is simple (picking flowers or fruits and macerating) and make for a much more affordable oil.
The prickly pear seed oil on the other hand, is considered a precious oil, because the process of fabrication is more demanding and results with lower yield but results in a much more complex oil. When the fruits are processed to extract the pulp (highly valued by the food industry: source of Vit. C, natural colorant, juices, jam…), the seeds are separated thought filters and sieves, then cleaned, dried and finally slowly cold pressed (traditionally 8 hours). It takes 1 ton of fruits to get 40 to 50kg of seed… that will yield a little more than one litre of Prickly pear seed oil! Now that you know, use this oil with delight!
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- As a rule, always perform a skin patch test before using your essential oils for the first time.
- WARNING: These properties, indications and methods of use are taken from reference works or websites in aromatherapy, hydrolatherapy and phytotherapy. They are found there regularly and for many confirmed by observations in scientific circles. However, this information is given for informational purposes, it cannot in any case constitute medical information, nor engage our responsibility. For any use for therapeutic purposes, consult a doctor.