INCI name: Styrax benzoin (Benzoin) resin oil
SYNONYMS: Benzoin resinoid, Benzoin essential oil, Styrax benzoin oil, styrax benzoin essential oil, Styrax benzoin absolute oil, Sumatra benzoin oil.
SKU code: PAO2034
EXTRACTION METHOD: Organic ethanol extraction (hexane free)
PARTS USED: Resin (Gum)
ORIGIN: Indonesia (Sumatra)
COMMON NAMES: Gum Benjamin, Sumatra benzoin, Benjoin, Onycha oil
APPEARANCE: Amber to golden brown, thick, viscous liquid.
ODOUR NOTE: Base note. Excellent fixative. Rich, warm, slightly woody with sweet creamy, honey/vanilla-like notes.
QUALITY: 100 % pure, organic, and whole essential oil. Undiluted.
STORAGE CONDITION: keep in tightly closed bottle, in a cool and dry area, away from sunlight.
INFOS AND INTERESTING FACTS
Our precious Benzoin absolute is produced from the resin of the styrax tree native to the island of Sumatra. Believed to possess sacred virtues, Benzoin gums, oils and tinctures have been used in rituals and wellbeing potions and inhalations since the antiquities. Benzoin absolute has a deep, rich, warm, comforting honey-sweet aroma that makes it a favourite in luxurious Perfume formulations. It is used in skin care for its purifying and hydrating properties.
- Mood/mind balancing, and relaxing aroma: ++++:
- Mood/mind stimulating, uplifting aroma: ++++
- Alleviate stress, helps fall asleep, promotes deep sleep.
- Expectorant: +++
- Skin regenerating, improve scar appearance: +++
- Anti-inflammatory, antalgic, warming: ++ Soothe discomfort in muscles and joints.
- Perfumery ingredient: +++ for floral blends, Incense making,
- In diffusion and massages: To help appease and recomfort tense moods, agitation, irritations.
- In diffusion, inhalations, chest, and upper-back massages: in support of good breathing.
- In skin care to create regenerating, soothing creams, lotions, and oils for fragile skins.
- To perfume body products and home sprays. To give a delicious, warm, comforting, sweet, “gourmet-dessert” aroma to cosmetics and rooms.
- To prepare tinctures with alcohol, to use in frictions and skin care: Toners, Tonic waters, fresh waters.
- In perfumery as a base note and fixative. Benzoin absolute is used in most luxurious perfumes and colognes for its warm honey and spicy note.
- In Warming and soothing balms, body creams or tinctures, to massage muscles and joints, before sports.
- To help energize in case of deep physical or emotional fatigue, stress, anxiety.
- In cooking: to make aromatized oils and preserves.
Benzoin absolute oil is thick.
Gently warm the closed amber vial in a glass of warm water to fluidify the oil. Take the closed vial out of water, carefully remove the dropper from the vial, keeping it aside to place back after, then count your drops with the pipette provided.
Benzoin absolute oil is soluble in perfume bases (ethanol 95% and over). Soluble in carrier oils (warm your carrier oil and absolute and incorporate drop by drop). Not soluble in water.
For well-being & cosmetic uses, add drops one by one, directly in your ready-made neutral base (creams, lotions, shampoos…) stirring and blending well as you add.
This is an 100% pure, undiluted, and powerful absolute. Use with parsimony. A LITTLE DROP GOES A LONG WAY !
Fantastic for this use +++
Acceptable (suitable) for this use ++
Wellbeing massages & body care
Relaxing muscles massages, appeasing before bedtime, sports preparation: +++: use 1 drop of Benzoin absolute for 4 drops of carrier oil.
Minors burns, Skin purifying, dry and fragile skins regeneration, Scar care +++: use 1 drop vanilla absolute oil for4 drops of carrier oil or 1 Tbsp base cream.
Hair care +++: use 1 drop Benzoin absolute for 10 ml carrier or 2-3 drops per 100 ml in neutral shampoo and conditioner.
Oil burners, diffusers ++: for aromatic diffusion, for a relaxing and comforting atmosphere, or in preparation for bedtime: use 1 drop in combination with other essential oils.
Perfume making +++: For more info on perfume bases and how to use them.
Benzoin Tinctures making+++: Ratio =1part Benzoin absolute to10 parts Perfume base (Ethanol 95% or more). Use this basic tincture to make:
face waters and sprays: add Rose, lavender…hydrosols.
Ratio:1 part Benzoin tincture to 40 parts Hydrosols.
- Other base note: Cedarwood, Amyris, Rock rose, Myrrh, Patchouli, Vanilla, pine
- Middle notes like: Vetiver, Frankincense, clove, nutmeg, rose, rose geranium.
- Top notes: Cinnamon, black pepper, Ginger, clove, nutmeg, and citruses.
- Other calming essential oils: lavender, Mandarin, Petit grain, May Chang, Ylang-Ylang, Clary sage, Bay laurel.
- Muscles and joints warming, soothing: Oregano, Marjoram, Juniper berry, Black pepper, Rosemary, Wintergreen.
Do not use during the first 3 months of pregnancy / breastfeeding
Keep out of reach of children and pets.
As a rule, always perform a skin patch test before using your essential oils for the first time.
DO NOT USE UNDILUTED and seek medical and specialist advise when in doubt